Monday, November 8, 2010

Discovery of Lands


Without the bringing out of the age of exploration, I probably wouldn’t be a navigator. Thank you to Magellan and Columbus who sailed and put exploration on the stage for us. Portugal, being the country that sailed the most, pushed many other countries to want to voyage across sea for trade and expansion of land. The French navigator, Jacques Cartier, founded New France for France and without him; I couldn’t have set up Quebec and discovered new lands and rivers. The experiences of these explorers contributed to maps and charts that were oblivious of land masses and waterways. Bartholemeu Dias sailed for Portugal and discovered the Cape of Good Hope but unfortunately didn’t go around it. Vasco de Gama took the risk and sailed around the cape and voyaged to India and the Spice Islands. This opened up a new passage around Africa to East Asia. Another example is the Spanish conquering of Mesoamerica and South America, thanks to Cortes and Pizarro. I hope I can follow the footsteps of these great people and be a part of the great wall of explorers. age of exploration by mandybbo

2 comments:

  1. Samuel de Champlain,
    I, like you, am a navigator. I also thank Magellan and all the other great navigators before us. The maps and previous knowledge have helped me a great deal during my explorations. Although I have no need for a route through the Cape of Good Hope, it gives me hope to find the route north that the Dutch dream of. This is quite inspirational. I also hope to follow their footsteps and be remembered for my great discoveries.
    Henry Hudson

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Samuel de Champlain,
    I'm glad to hear that my country has inspired many other countries to voyage. Portugal has fathered many people in the field of exploration to be thankful for. However, no matter what country we come from, we are all bonded by our love for exploration. Keep it up Samuel, and soon you'll be a great navigator! Best of luck in your future goals and aspirations.
    Sincerely,
    Afonso de Albuquerque
    Naval General Officer, Portugal

    ReplyDelete