Monday, November 8, 2010

Motives and Means



Expansion means a lot to voyagers like me. I like it mainly because of the glory and gold. However, my view on this idea of “God, Glory, and Gold” is that I believe it will bring lots of merchandise and increase revenue for European countries. For my country, I have brought forth a great trading company. Fur is wildly popular and makes a great imported good to ship to France, since we have abundance from our native friends from whom we have traded with.  All this wealth coming from the new world brings an economic expansion to Europe. Without the support of monarchs and aristocrats, it is difficult to set a voyage overseas. I was lucky enough to be funded by the French king and few nobles to fulfill my expedition to New France, also known as Canada. When I reached my destination, I was able to explore lands and rivers and set up a new colony for my country. I couldn’t have sailed without the help of navigational tools such as the compass and astrolabes. These tools made traveling and sailing more efficient and easy. New ship and sailing techniques like the discovery of wind patterns and the axial rudders made trips shorter and more manageable. I am glad to be able to do what I love and hope to be remembered for what I have done for the expansion into the New World. 
god, glory, and gold  by xxlaurena at youtube

1 comment:

  1. It sounds like the Europeans are reaping great benefits from their trade abroad. At the same time, certain distant lands also received great advances in technology and military strategy. In my native Japan, for instance, we have built our castles in the fashion of medieval European ones. We have also traded for goods such as firearms, glasses, and other such items never seen before but are highly useful.

    - Tokugawa

    ReplyDelete