Tuesday, November 9, 2010

French vs English

The French had conquered Canada in North America, but the British came and tried to take the land. In 1534 Jacques Cartier explored the St. Lawrence River and claimed Canada for the French. Then I came along and built settlement in Quebec in 1608. Canada became a vast trading area for fur, leather, fish, and timber thanks to me. However, we were thinly populated. There wasn't much support from France for the conquest of North America. The treaty of Utrecht gave parts of Canada to the English. Towards the end of the 7 Years' War Canada was won over by the English. It is a shame to see all my hard work and effort be dismissed just like that. I hope that the French can become more powerful and try to win back what is ours, but I highly doubt we can defeat the English especially after the war. Let all know that Canada was won for France and we will forever be its founding country. Let our culture still flourish in the new land and France be an important part of its history along with Cartier and myself. Nonetheless, I have pride in my country and wish for future French explorers to mark great events for French history. French and English Rivalry by linksnorth

1 comment:

  1. Ah, Samuel. So we have gained land, due to the Treaty of Utrecht? well, I surely hoped for more of a fight from the French! Well, at least you have come to your senses and realized that victory of the Seven Years' War is out of reach, and that for the British, victory is inevitable. You certainly put up a good fight, but it just wasn't enough to win this time. Good luck to you on the next battle, and may the best country win!

    ReplyDelete